Oracle Training Overview
This course is intended as a brief but practical guide in preparing systems to host Oracle software
installations. It includes introductory and basic Linux system administration skills most useful to Oracle
professionals that are not now Linux systems administrators. Successful Oracle software installations
start with what is sometimes termed a bare-metal installation of an operating system configured to
support a particular Oracle software product, and then the installation of that product. In other cases,
the machine used for installation is virtual and not physical, using one of the common virtualization
products available today.
Oracle Training Audience
In this training manual we will start with a step-by-step guide for the creation of a virtualized server
using the no-cost Oracle VM VirtualBox virtual machine (VM) solution. Thereafter, we provide a stepby-step
guide for the installation of the Oracle Linux operating system onto that virtual machine.
These license-free products provide a powerful and cost-effective way in which to build a virtual data
center into which Oracle and other enterprise software solutions may be deployed.
Within this guide we will also start one on the path of Linux system administration, providing some
useful examples of systems administration tasks that one might perform to troubleshoot and
otherwise support an Oracle software installation. That material might be considered as an
introduction to Linux for database administrators and other Oracle professionals.
The target audience for this course is all Oracle professionals. Among the specific groups for whom
this course will be helpful are:
Oracle Training Prerequisites
- System administrators
- Data center support engineers
- Implementation specialists
- Database administrators
- Web server administrators
- Senior application designers and developers
There are no specific prerequisites for this course other than a basic working knowledge of
computer operating systems.
Oracle Training Certification
This course considers some of the introductory subjects helpful for certification as an Oracle Linux
Certified Implementation Specialist for "Exam: 1Z0-460: Oracle Linux Implementation Essentials". One
will need to continue with other more advanced Linux system administration topics in order to fully
prepare for this certification. This course is just a first step.
Oracle Training Objectives
The objectives for this course are as follows:
- Learn about server virtualization and the role of a virtual machine within the Oracle technology
- Download and install the Oracle VirtualBox hypervisor.
- Understand the Oracle Linux product and its relationship to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
- Understand the Oracle Linux Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK).
- Configure a VirtualBox virtual machine for an Oracle Linux guest.
- Obtain the Oracle Linux operating system installation package and perform an Oracle Linux
- Complete first-time setup of a new Oracle Linux installation.
- Perform post-installation setup tasks for a new virtual machine, including VirtualBox guest operating
- Introduce Linux system administration, with a focus on common system administration tasks that
facilitate or troubleshoot problems with an Oracle software installation.
- Use the rpm utility, the yum utility and the Oracle public YUM server to configure a host and to
maintain and upgrade the host.
- Basic Linux shell commands for working with directories and files, users and groups, permissions and
- Basic Linux system administration for management of the system configuration, memory resources,
storage resources and processes.
- Additional introductory topics for network administration and security administration.
Oracle Training Course outline
ABOUT SERVER VIRTUALIZATION WITH ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX
CONFIGURE VM FOR LINUX
- ABOUT SERVER VIRTUALIZATION
- ABOUT ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX
- INSTALL ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX
- INSTALLATION ON A LINUX HOST
- UPGRADE VIRTUALBOX
ORACLE LINUX INSTALLATION
- CREATE A NEW MACHINE
- EDIT MACHINE SETTINGS
- ABOUT AN MS WINDOWS GUEST OS
- RESOURCE INTERRELATIONSHIPS
BASIC LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
- CHOOSING AN OPERATING SYSTEM
- PREPARE AN ORACLE LINUX INSTALLATION
- START ORACLE LINUX INSTALLATION
- PERFORM ORACLE LINUX INSTALLATION
- ORACLE LINUX FIRST-TIME SETUP
- ABOUT VIRTUALBOX APPLIANCES
- ADMINISTERING YOUR NEW MACHINE
- PACKAGE MANAGEMENT
- POST-INSTALLATION TASKS
- ONGOING SOFTWARE UPDATES
- DIRECTORIES & FILES
- USERS & GROUPS
- DIRECTORY & FILE PERMISSIONS
- SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
- NETWORK ADMINISTRATION
- SECURITY ADMINISTRATION