Effective delegation is one of the most important processes behind a successful organization. In this ½ day course, students will learn the definition of delegation, difficulties that can arise with delegation and ways to overcome them, the benefits of effective delegation, and how to implement a successful delegation process.
Management and other business professionals
1. Delegation Skills
Why is it Important to Delegate?
- What Gets in Our Way of Delegating?
- What are the Benefits of Delegating?
- What Tasks or Projects Can you Delegate?
- A Delegation Quiz
- Steps to Effective Delegation
- Step 1: Analyzing the Task
- The Who, What, When, How and Why of
- “Delegating for Diehards”
- Step 2: Selecting the Delegatee
- Identifying the Skills Needed
- Matching the Job Requirements to the Delegatee
- Determining Training and Other Support Needed
- Establishing Checkpoints
- Step 3: Passing the Baton
- Describing the Task Goal and Why the Delegatee Was Chosen
- Being Specific About Responsibility and Authority
- Step 4: Look Before you Leap
- Asking if the Task Has a Well-Defined Goal
- Determining How it Will Affect Delegatee’s Workload
- Asking if the Delegatee Needs Special Training
- Recognizing Inherent Risks
- Step 5: Executing the Task
- Recognizing Issues That May Arise During the Course of the Task
- Step 6: Conducting Regular Feedback Sessions
- Keeping the Delegator Informed
- Case Study: Jason Delegates to Pat
- Skills Practice: Trying a Real Delegation Scenario
- Observer’s Worksheet