Lotus Training Overview|
Developers often overlook the many special features integrated into Notes either because they are not aware of them or assume wrongly that they can only be used in the standard applications, such as Mail. In fact these special features can be added to all applications, and often require only an additional amount of work to support.
This course shows how users configure and use a particular feature and then describe in detail what the developer must do to support the feature.
Lotus Training Learning Objectives
In this course, you will learn how to:
Lotus Training Audience
- Display unread marks in Folders and Views, display the total number of unread documents in Bookmarks and in Outline Entries for Folders, and filter Folders and Views to display only unread documents.
- Describe how replication works down to the Field-level, and to employ the various design techniques that can be used to prevent replication conflicts.
- Expand the utility of private documents to include extended document authorship and limited readership and to ensure that even private documents replicate to all servers.
- Provide users with the ability to undelete deleted documents by adding soft deletion support.
- Categorize documents at the View or document level using a special dialog box.
- Develop alternate Forms for display, printing, and workflow applications.
- Mail-enable applications to allow asynchronous inter-database messaging.
- Enable users to discover which Folders a document has been filed in.
- Add calendar and scheduling capabilities that tie into the domain-wide user busytime system.
- Integrate Sametime presence awareness, instant messaging, and instant contacts.
- Create an appropriate full text index and save advanced searches that users can run.
- Let users use Quicksearch feature to quickly find matching documents in Views and allow users to customize shared Views and Folders to suit their needs.
- Create a custom subscription Form that allows users to monitor your custom applications for new documents that meet their search criteria
- Describe how to provide a better user interface to database archiving and selective replication.
- Describe how to provide a better user interface to posting meta information about a document to the Domain Catalog.
This course is designed for Notes programmers well versed in using Domino Designer 7. It assumes that you have:
This course is part of a series of Domino Designer 7 training courses. Follow these paths to master all aspects of developing applications using Domino Designer:
- extensive experience using Notes 7
- thorough knowledge of the Domino Designer 7 development environment, including Form and View design
- mastered the Topics covered in Domino Designer 7: Basic Notes Application.
Domino Designer 7: Basic Notes Applications provides the base knowledge for this additional training:
Language Track. These languages apply to both Notes and browser clients:
- Configure Domino to use DB2 as a database engine and build applications that access relational data, DB2 for Domino 7 Administrators and Developers.
- Specialize in programming Notes applications to respond to built-in user interface features, Domino Designer 7: Special Notes Features.
- Convert an application written for Notes clients to be used in browsers, Domino Designer 7: Basic Browser Applications.
- Provide data to cutting-edge Web applications, Domino Designer 7: Web Agents and Web Services.
Lotus Training Course duration
- Learn sophisticated application techniques that fully exploit the formula language in Domino Designer 7: Formula Language.
- Develop sophisticated applications and Agents with LotusScript in Domino Designer 7: LotusScript.
This course is sold as a 2-day course.
Lotus Training Course design
This is a lecture/lab course that follows a task-oriented approach. During the many course exercises you will create a working application from the ground up. As you learn about various aspects of Domino Designer, you will immediately apply the concepts and techniques as you work on your application.
Lotus Training Course outline
Topic 1: Unread Marks
Display the number of unread documents
Display unread count in Outline and unread marks in Views
marks in Views
Mark all read/unread warning
Scanning for unread documents
Designing for unread marks
View unread filter
Exercise: Display unread marks
Topic 2: Conflict Documents
Database Replica ID and Document UNID
Item modification record
Single source item update
Document replication conflicts
Save conflicts are already prevented
Preventing replication conflicts
Strategy 1: Proper ACL settings
Strategy 2: Document locking
Enable document locking
Document locks and mobile users
Strategy 3: Document versioning
Strategy 4: Automatically merge replication conflicts
Strategy 5: Hide conflict documents
Strategy 6: Programmatically resolve conflict documents
Strategy 7: Manually reconcile conflict documents
Exercise: Replication conflicts and document locking
Topic 3: Private Documents
Mark Private Action button
Mark Public Action button
Recover a private document
Expand the idea of Private documents
Replicate Private documents
Exercise: User control over readership
Pseudo document security
Topic 4: Soft Document Deletions
Designing for soft deletions
Step 1: Set Database soft deletions property
Step 2: Create Soft Deletions View
Step 3: Create Outline Entry for Soft Deletions View
Step 4: Create the Restore and Purge Agents
Step 5: Create the Actions in the Soft Deletions View
Exercise: Soft Deletion support
Forcing a hard delete
Soft deletions and security
Instantly move to trash on Delete
Programmatically prevent orphan documents
Topic 5: Categories Field
Handling (Not Categorized) documents
Exercise: All Products by\Department View
Topic 6: Alternate Forms
Review: Form versus document
Forms for different purposes
User can manually change Forms
Potential user confusion
Programmatically select alternate Forms
Order of precedence
Examples of programmatic control over Forms
Preventing user mis-saves
Exercise: Alternate Form for printing report from View
Exercise: Alternate Form for printing Document
Topic 7: Mail-Enabled Applications
Advantages of mail-enabled applications
@MailSend with parameters
Exercise: @MailSend with parameters
@MailSend without parameters
Exercise: @MailSend without parameters
Send the form with the message
Strategy 1: Copy the Form to the user Mail
Strategy 2: Store form in document Form property
Strategy 3: Store Form only in copy of document that is mailed
General interaction with user Mail
Topic 8: Discover Folders
Topic 9: Calendars and Scheduling
Exercise: Add Discover Folders feature
Open any users Calendar
Open ($Calendar) View in current database
Mail custom Appointment documents to users
Exercise: Analyze how to send a reminder to a user
Embedded Scheduler architecture
Using an Embedded Scheduler
Add Embedded Scheduler and set properties
Required Fields and Field association
Exercise: Embedded Scheduler
Simpler approach to scheduling
Topic 10: Integrated Sametime
Topic 11: Full Text Search
Online awareness in a Form
Online awareness in Views
Embedding an Instant Messaging Contact List
Formula language functions
Exercise: Enable Sametime
Programmatically send Sametime messages
Built-in full text search bar
Create the full text index
Full text index options
Full text search index properties
Exercise: Create full text index
Limitations of full text search
Exercise: Search for information
Valid search operators
Improve your results
Enable multi-database search
Searching multi-database indexes
Server configuration for Domain Search
Programming full text search
Topic 12: View/Folder Tools
Built-in View/Folders tools
Topic 13: Subscriptions
Exercise: Test Starts with
Pick Inbox Style
Typical ways to find new documents
Monitor databases with subscriptions
Subscribe to a database
Document selection options
Work with subscription results
Subscription Options View
Select documents that match the selected criteria
Configure Notes to monitor headlines
Subscriptions and Domino security
Subscriptions and database security
Database property to allow headline monitoring
Custom Subscription Form
Exercise: Configure and test subscriptions
Discussion Interest Profiles
Interest Profiles and subscriptions
Topic 14: Archiving and Selective Replication
Drag and drop selective replication
Topic 15: Domain Content Map
Document properties Meta tab
Create the taxonomy
Import a taxonomy
Verify your Catalog/Domain Search server
Use the Meta tab
Exercise: Meta tab information
Problems with the current design
An improved design