This course teaches students the basic techniques required to use CA-Easytrieve Plus, an
information management and report generator tool.
Upon successful completion Students will be able to:
A series of lab exercises will be used to reinforce the classroom education.
- Define files to be processed.
- Format a report with titles and footings.
- Use relation logic to accept and reject records for reporting.
- Define working storage fields.
- Perform arithmetic calculations.
- Move data between record fields and work areas.
- Sort data.
- Format numeric data for the report.
- Define control breaks and subtotaling for reports.
- Build and write output data files.
- Perform table searching.
- Use arrays in Easytrieve Plus processing.
- Perform synchronized file processing.
Mainframe Training Audience
End-users, application programmers, business analysts, and others with a need to create reports
using Easytrieve Plus.
Mainframe Training Prerequisites
Mainframe Training Course duration
- TSO/ISPF, or equivalent experience.
- Basic MVS JCL, or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience in designing and coding application programs is not required, but will
enhance the results of this course.
Mainframe Training Course outline
Introduction to Easytrieve Plus
Basic Easytrieve Reporting
- Easytrieve Environments
- JCL Requirements
Enhancing Easytrieve Reports
- Basic Statement Syntax
- Easytrieve Program Structure
- Environment Section
- Library Section
- Defining Files
- Defining Fields
- Activity Section
- Report Subactivity
Arithmetic and Conditional Processing
- REPORT Statement Parameters
- TITLE Statement Parameters
- LINE Statement Parameters
- HEADING Statement
- SEQUENCE Statement
- Generating Multiple Reports
- Report Routing
- Generating Label Reports
Totals, Control Reports and Summary Files
- Working Storage Fields
- Assignment Statement
- IF Statement
- CASE Statement
- DO WHILE / DO UNTIL Statements
- STOP Statement
- GOTO Statement
- DISPLAY Statement
- Defining Procedures
- PERFORM Statement
Virtual File Manager and Sorting
- Creating Report Totals
- SUM Statement
- CONTROL Statement
- Creating Control Reports
- Creating and Using Summary Files
Programmer Controlled I/O
- Introduction to Virtual File Manager
- Designating VFM-Managed Files
- COPY Statement
- SORT Statement
Tables and Array Processing
- Requesting Controlled I/O
- GET Statement
- STOP Statement
- Defining Output Files
- MOVE Statement
- PUT Statement
Synchronized File Processing
- Defining Instream Tables
- Defining External Tables
- SEARCH Statement
- Defining Arrays
- Accessing an Array
Supplemental Topics (as time permits)
- Implementing Synchronized File Processing
- Identifying Duplicate Records in Files
- Easytrieve Macros
- Using Special-Name Procedures