Review overall DB2 SQL Performance Considerations.
Discuss the "behavior" of the DB2 Optimizer.
Explore DB2 SQL performance issues as revealed by using the EXPLAIN feature.
The major columns PLAN_TABLE and DSN_STATEMNT_TABLE are analyzed in detail. The results of the DB2 EXPLAIN process are reviewed to obtain insights into the
Way(s) that the Optimizer chooses the access path to access DB2 data.
Extensive workshops allow the students to test the performance "goodness" of several SQL statements.
The Plan Analyzer is used to review the results of the EXPLAIN process.
As a result of this class, the attendee will be able to -
- Discuss overall DB2 Performance considerations
- Run the EXPLAIN PLAN SQL statement and analyze results
- Analyze the column values in the PLAN_TABLE
- Analyze the column values in the DSN_STATEMNT_TABLE
- Review how to Tune / Rewrite SQL queries to improve their efficiency
- Develop a set of Performance "guidelines"
- Run the Plan Analyzer to see the results of the EXPLAIN process
Experienced Data Processing personnel who have used SQL and need to explore Application Performance and Tuning issues.
At least six months experience using DB2 SQL.
- Performance Overview with Guidelines
Workshop - The EXPLAIN statement and the PLAN_TABLE
- Tuning Guidelines and Examples
- EXPLAIN with Examples - TS, MIS, NMIS, IXONLY, SORT, Part Scan
WorkShop - More EXPLAIN exercises - Part 1
- SQL Coding Guideline
WorkShop - Re-Formatting SQL Statements
- Using EXPLAIN to improve SQL Performance
WorkShop - More EXPLAIN exercises - Part 2
- The DSN_STATEMNT_TABLE
- Improving SQL statements using EXPLAIN results
WorkShop - EXPLAIN - the DSN_STATEMNT_TABLE and the PLAN_TABLE
- Using the Plan Analyzer to understand the results the EXPLAIN process
WorkShop - Using Plan Analyzer to review the EXPLAIN results
|Appendix A - IBM Sample Tables
|Appendix B - Bibliography
|Appendix C - EXPLAIN PLAN Statement and PLAN_TABLE and DSN_STATEMNT_TABLE
|Appendix D - Plan Analyzer