Oracle Training Overview|
This Oracle 10g courseware training guide book will equip database administrators to recognize, diagnose and remedy performance problems which might arise in the operation of the Oracle database server. Beyond reactive measures, proactive actions which can be taken to avoid performance issues before they arise or are recognized are also considered. This course goes beyond basic automatic tuning techniques discussed elsewhere within our database administrator curriculum and covers the whole range of tuning issues, including manual database tuning techniques, host system tuning, network and listener tuning, and others.
Oracle Training Prerequisites
Suggested prerequisites for this course are the following courses:
Oracle Training Suggested Next Courses
- The course Oracle Database 10g: Administration I
- The course Oracle Database 10g: Administration II
Performance problems can oftentimes result from fundamental design flaws in the physical organization of the database. As a follow-up to this course, one should proceed to address such issues with the course ORACLE DATABASE 10G: IMPLEMENT PARALLEL SQL & PARTITIONING. Additionally, one may proceed beyond general database performance tuning activities and specialize in tuning individual objects executing within the database server by means of these courses:
Oracle Training Audience
- The course Oracle Database 10g: SQL Tuning
- The course Oracle Database 10g: Advanced PL/SQL Programming & Tuning
The target audience for this course is Oracle database administrators and data center support engineers and consultants. Additionally, senior database developers will benefit from an understanding of the architecture of the Oracle database with which they interface.
Oracle Training Certification Examination
This course along with its prerequisites cover information necessary to complete the certification test EXAM #1Z0-043 ORACLE DATABASE 10G: ADMINISTRATION II.
Oracle Training Objectives
Among the specific subjects discussed in this course are:
Oracle Training Course duration
Oracle Training Course outline
- Utilization of advanced self-tuning and self-management capabilities, including the use of the database Advisors and other components of the Management Framework.
- Performance monitoring, problem troubleshooting, and resolution.
- Detailed scrutiny of database activity using statistics and wait events, as well as a review of the underlying mechanisms and computations involved in the automatic tuning features of the Oracle10g release.
- Manual database tuning using Statspack.
- Tuning of the shared pool, buffer cache and shared memory structures, including little known techniques to address unique circumstances and challenges.
- Tuning recovery structures such as checkpoints and redo data.
- Tuning physical storage structures such as file I/O and database blocks, detecting and reducing fragmentation of physical storage.
- Tuning specialty structures such as the PGA and temporary space.
- Use of specialty performance tuning features, such as metrics, metric baselines, and alerts.
PERFORMANCE TUNING OVERVIEW
STATISTICS & WAIT EVENTS
- DATABASE PERFORMANCE TUNING CONTEXT
- THE DATABASE INSTANCE TUNING METHODOLOGY
- ABOUT THE DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE VIEWS
- EXAMINING THE STATISTICS
- INTERPRETING THE STATISTICS
AUTOMATIC TUNING & AWR
- INSTALL THE STATSPACK UTILITY
- CREATE STATSPACK SNAPSHOTS
- GENERATE STATSPACK REPORTS
- IDENTIFY THE REPORT SECTIONS
METRICS, ALERTS & BASELINES
- ABOUT THE MANAGEMENT & ADVISORY FRAMEWORK
- MANAGING THE AUTOMATIC WORKLOAD REPOSITORY
- ABOUT THE ACTIVE SESSION HISTORY (ASH)
- AUTOMATIC DATABASE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR
- MANAGING SNAPSHOTS
- CREATE_BASELINE() & DROP_BASELINE()
- CREATE_SNAPSHOT() & DROP_SNAPSHOT_RANGE()
TUNING MEMORY: THE SHARED POOL
- METRICS & ALERT THRESHOLDS
- MANAGING METRICS
- MANAGING ALERTS
- USE EM REAL-TIME MONITORS
TUNING MEMORY: THE BUFFER CACHE
- MORE ABOUT THE SHARED POOL
- DIAGNOSE SHARED POOL PROBLEMS
- KEEP OBJECTS IN THE SHARED POOL
TUNING MEMORY: AUTOMATIC SHARED MEMORY
- MORE ABOUT THE BUFFER CACHE
- REMEDY PERFORMANCE ISSUES
TUNING I/O: CHECKPOINT & REDO TUNING
- AUTOMATIC SHARED MEMORY MANAGEMENT
- USING EM & THE MEMORY ADVISORS
TUNING I/O: DATABASE WRITES
- TUNE REDO WRITING & ARCHIVING
- MTTR ADVISOR & TUNING CHECKPOINTS
- ADDITIONAL REDO TUNING OPTIONS
SPACE TUNING: PGA & TEMPORARY SPACE
SPACE TUNING: BLOCK SPACE USAGE
- PGA MEMORY MANAGEMENT
- TEMPORARY SPACE MANAGEMENT
- USING THE SHRINK SPACE OPTION
- USING THE SEGMENT ADVISOR