Domino 8.5.x increases performance while at the same time reduces its demands on system resources, due to the support for additional 64 bit platforms and the reduction of I/O and CPU overhead for tasks such as the router, transaction logging, schedule, and design. Other new features are related to Notes clients, including some that reduce your administrative workload.
This course isn’t your typical upgrade course in that it doesn’t mechanically list all the improvements nor does it tell you how to upgrade to this latest version. For that type of information—a complete list of all the new features, system requirements, installation steps, and known problems for Notes/Domino 8.5.x—the best places to go are the Release Notes and the “What’s New in IBM Lotus Domino 8.5.3” section in Lotus Domino Administrator Help.
Instead, the main concern of this course is to describe the most significant new features in 8.5 up through 8.5.3 and how they affect and update these Notes and Domino 8 administration courses:
Lotus Training Learning Objectives
- Lotus Domino 8 Administration Basics
- Lotus Notes 8 Administration
- Lotus Notes 8 Support
- Lotus Domino 8 Mail Administration
- Lotus Domino 8 Monitoring and Maintenance
In this course, you will learn how to:
Lotus Training Audience
This course is designed for experienced Notes and Domino 8 administrators who plan to upgrade their environment to Notes/iNotes and Domino 8.5.3.
- Describe the changes to Notes 8.5.3 platforms, installer packages, embedded Eclipse features, and startup sequence.
- Create Dynamic policies and use the three new views in Domino Administrator to manage them.
- Create Group documents that auto-populate its members with users who have Mail databases on a specified Domino Server.
- Overcome network delays and server outages by using Managed Mail Replicas.
- Describe file server-based roaming for Notes users and configure it using the new Roaming Settings policy document.
- Configure a Notes User ID Vault database to store Notes User ID files and use the vault to restore lost User IDs or forgotten passwords.
- Configure Notes Shared Login for Notes users who use Windows so they don’t need to remember their Notes User ID password.
- Reduce the footprint of databases, particularly user Mail files that contain duplicate attachments, by implementing Domino Attachment and Object Service.
- Run the Domino Configuration Tuner to compare a server’s settings with best practices rules and run the Corrupt Database Collection and Domino Diagnostic Probe tools.
You will find this course especially rewarding if you have already installed a Domino 8.5.x server and a handful of Notes 8.5.x clients and have brought your questions to class.
If you are new to Notes and Domino, this is not the right course for you, as it assumes significant prior knowledge of Notes and Domino 8. You should, instead, participate in a series of Domino and Notes administration training courses. Follow this series of courses to master all aspects of the Domino 8.5.x server, Domino Administrator 8.5.x, and the administration of Lotus Notes clients.
Lotus Training Course duration
This course is designed as a half-day lecture and demonstration course, but can be lengthened and modified to include hands-on activities. Though designed for instructor-lead classes, with the proper equipment and software individuals can also use this course for self-study.
Please consult the Set Up document for this course to make sure the correct environment is in place before starting the course.
Lotus Training Course outline
Topic 1: Notes Client Upgrade
Topic 2: Policies
- Supported operating systems
- Notes Standard configuration startup sequence and time
- Notes Software and database design and ODS upgrade
- Embedded Sametime client in Notes
- Integrated IBM Lotus Quickr
- Integrated IBM Lotus Connections
- Notebook application
Topic 3: Replication
- Dynamic policy assignment
- Dynamic policy views
- Change to Assign Policy tool
- Auto-Populated Group members list
- Machine specific Policy settings
- Desktop Settings policy to control KeyView file format filters
- Mail-related policies
Topic 4: Notes Roaming
- Managed Mail Replicas
- Purge Interval Replication Control
Topic 5: Notes User ID Vault
- Roaming Settings policy
- File server roaming user preferences
- Replication Page
- Temporarily disable roaming
Topic 6: Notes Shared Login for Windows
- Old and new mechanisms to recover from User ID problems
- Create a Notes User ID Vault database
- Exercise: Create a Notes User ID Vault
- Configure Security Settings document
- Upload User IDs to vault database
- Exercise: Upload User ID of existing users
- Download User ID from vault
- Forgotten password recovery
- Notes User ID Vault logging
Topic 7: Domino Attachment and Object Service
- Configure NSL
- How ID files are protected
- Caveats for NSL-protected Notes User ID files
- Integrated Windows Authentication for Eclipse
Topic 8: Domino Diagnostics and Configuration
- Pre-R8 attempts at database size reduction techniques
- Notes 8 database size reduction techniques
- Domino 8.5.x database size reduction techniques
- Enable DAOS
- Monitor settings and statistics
- Backup and restore
- Sync problems
- Return all files to documents as attachments
- Disable DAOS
- DAOS resources
- Full Text Search indexing
- Domino Configuration Tuner
- Automatically run Corrupt Database Collection tool
- Domino Diagnostic Probe
- Debug_ThreadID debug variable enabled by default